Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dr. Morgan

I learned today that an older professor of mine retired, or at least went emeritus. This makes me sad, as I really loved him when I was in school. He wasn't your usual professor that students love, who fosters students, or cares for their well being. Nope, not Dr. Morgan, but that doesn't mean I didn't adore his classes. He was a chain smoking professor, who wore all black, and we were all pretty sure he was held together with ash, caffeine, and sarcasm. He held office hours outside, so he could smoke. He was never seen without coffee. He grumbled at students, harassed them in class, and was all around quirky. Perfect.

He went by Gwyn Morgan, but his name was always written M. Gwyn Morgan, and we never knew what the M. stood for until John, in one of his curious moments, walked up to Professor Morgan and asked, "what does the M stand for?" At which point, without skipping a beat, Dr. Morgan replied, "Messiah," and walked off. Incidentally, the M stands for Michael.

Basically, Dr. Morgan was a chain smoking, disgruntled Welsh professor, who knew his shit, and expected his students to know theirs, whether he taught it or not. He was old-school in his teaching methods, if indeed that is what you consider them to be. I really liked his classes, he was a good professor, crazy, but good, though, aren't all the greats just a little crazy? Besides, I like a person with a healthy dose of realism, that induces an even healthier dose of sarcasm.

Edit: I am told that he retired in Spring 2010. Good for him. I'm clearly behind in my news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment