Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Leather and the Weather

Today will be a high of 74˚F and a low of 49˚F, which is marvelously cold. Maybe this isn't cold to all you northerners, but here in Texas let me just say, woo hoo! I think it is time to take off the heat repellent fabric from the windows and celebrate. 

The best thing about cool days, other than the weather, is the clothing. I wear running pants and tennis shoes in order to walk or bike into work, and after getting to work I change into my work clothes. Many days, even in the summer, my work clothes include my beautiful, precious, knee-high Frye boots, acquired at the good graces of family members as a present for my birthday. Here they are today, sorry for the weird angles:


This morning nothing could have made me happier than the smell of the leather as I put on my boots. There is something to the smell of leather on a cool day that is indescribable. It is the musky smell of well worn leather, of earth and dirt, and all the places you have been. It is the smell of home, and of riding horses in the winter. It is a smell that just sets my heart at ease.

It is officially fall in Texas, and I am officially celebrating with boots, baking, and ____ anyone have another 'b' word, and no not that one.

Though it is "cold," I have had a desire for ice cream. So, one night this week John and I trekked over to the Dairy Queen to eat a pumpkin pie blizzard. Oh my gosh, it was so good. Then I thought, hmm, I have pumpkin pie filling that needs to get used at home...oh yes, this is going there. Last night I made a pumpkin pie, and the crust from scratch, as I usually do. I'd have made all the pie from scratch but as I said we had filling that needed to be used. In any case, the homemade pumpkin pie blizzard was delicious, and now I even have more waiting at home for me later today. Ah, the small things in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment